Thursday, September 17, 2015

Write What You Know

My first creative writing class professor told the class to write what we know. Which at the time I didn't think that was a good idea. I have been living in the same area since I was born, I'm been a home-child (because my dad think is a smart idea to keep my sister and I away from the world), I didn't go out much (the dad reason again), so how was I going to write about a boring street where I knew nothing about.

That was at first, I started slowly understanding what he meant. We were first time writers (in a way), so we didn't know how to build a world from nothing. We had to start with something, it was an easy way to start. Yet, today I feel like this could hold you back in a way.

Yes, do write what you know, BUT what I do is if I haven't been to a place, I look it up. I make up a new world within this world. If I don't know a lot about something, I research it too the end of the world.

For example, I am working on a story about Sidhe; which is the fairy people of Irish folklore, said to live beneath the hills and often identified as the remnant of the ancient Tuatha De Danann. Like him:

Image result for male elf blonde hair

Like I can't find a lot on them, I have to read as much as book about Fairies and anything that could do with Sidhe. Today, my awesome boyfriend buy me Thrones of Glass by Sarah J. Maas, and I finished last week A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Mass.

Image result for throne of glass cover art

A Court of Thorns and Roses was an amazing book to read, GO READ IT NOW, this book open my eyes to the Sidhe world even more.

Image result for court of thorns and roses

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you have to write what you know and research what you don't know. The more you research on something, the more it seem like you know it. Don't forget about the weather in a location! (which I almost forgot in my story lol)

Night Owl,
A.Goddess

No comments:

Post a Comment